ArticleImage_29190_Feature

The Duck #2

* This is the second article in a series of posts which will explain how does the human mind works (And yours included :-)). In case you didn’t read the previous one, please click here or the number 2 in the right bottom of the image.

So this time, I went to one of the bars around my neighborhood to have a beer with the Duck, and to keep listening to what he has to say. As I saw him, he immediately smiled and excitedly asked: “Well well, do you have a solution for my riddle?”
“Truth is, I don’t. I know I’m not good enough with Math so I didn’t even try”
“HA! Bartender!” He shouted “Plz bring my dear friend a shot of scotch for his fixed brain. It might loosen it up a little”
“Hey! why do you say I have a fixed brain?”
“Because I gave you a riddle (1st dot) with some numbers (2nd dot), and you immediately assumed that it has to be a Math riddle (Straight line). You just drew that fixed, straight line between those 2 dots” He said and smiled, “And than, youv’e let this line shape your world so u didn’t even try to solve the riddle, because if it is a Math problem (1st dot) and your’e not good in Math (2nd dot) than you won’t succeed anyway (Straight line).”
“Oh” I responded.
“So, here is the solution. As you can c, it really has nothing to do with Math. Actually, the younger you are the easier it will be to solve this one, as your brain not yet fixed.”

“Is that the reason you said last time that these lines shapes my reality?”
“Yes. But I didn’t say it as a metaphor. It goes into the physical. Your brain itself is made of ties (the dots) and lines that connects them in a fixed way in order to invoke a thought. Every experience you go thorugh, everything you see or hear – they all create some more lines and more ties”
“And because when I was in school I was tought to do the Math when I see numbers, this kind of line was created between those 2 ties (dots) in my brain. I get it”
“Exactly. Therefore, what is needed in order to solve this riddle, is to think outside of the box, to go against some rules of thinking, to do not accept what everybody “Knows”. This is called creativity”
“Oh. Well I’m not so creative”
“This belief is a line my friend. cut it”
“How do I cut it? It is not possible to become creative! you have it or you don’t have it. right?”
“No. Totally wrong. As I see it, there are 2 main ways to cut that line. But I’m sure that there are much more. The 1st way is becoming aware to your thoughts as thoughts only, and not reality. Once you start observing your thoughts from the outside, just watching them come and go, you become familiar with their true nature – a subjective illusion that appear and disappear just like the waves of the ocean. At that point, your brain starts to untie itself(*). The 2nd way is to seriously learn new creative things. Have you ever tried to paint? playing a musical instrument? dance? Have you ever tried some intuitive writing? All of these and many others can be a great way to become more creative.(**) They will all create new lines and new ties in your brain, as well as untie others.”

“Got it. So, what are we going to discuss the next time?”
“I believe that next time we will take it one step forward. We will see how the lines are responsible for you being sad and happy, passionate and a fearful. This is going to be the real thing. Hey, until than, let’s play a game shall we? I’m going to add a photo for you, and you will try to think what you see in it. Remember, there are endless ways to connect the dots, and none of them is straight. As for me, I think that this is a dragon. Definately a dragon. What do you think?”

C u next time!

* A highly recommended book about the plastic brain – The brain that changes itself / Norman Dodge.
** A highly recommended book/workshop about unleashing one’s creativity – The Artist’s Way / Julia Cameron.

67 comments on “The Duck #2

1. this was the perfect thing to read after my morning yoga. thanks, yuri! furthermore, thanks for the book recommendation! have you read the power of now by eckhart tolle?! xo

2. mixedupmeme says:

Dear Blogger,
    I am trying so very hard to follow your directions and follow the dots.
    Please forgive me if I don’t quite get it.
    You might have to read my blog entry to see what I mean. :)

Enjoying your series.

3. thx for the like…don’t know how you found my blog; i’ve got the social networking skills of ghengis khan. nice to follow you.

4. Erika says:

Amaaaaziiing! I didn’t guess the next series… :S But I’m glad to see I can untie the dots and lines if I set myself to. Thanks a lot for this! :D

5. ahmrita natural mental health says:

hi – i’m definitely looking forward to more insights from duck :)

6. Thanks you for the like,
    as it allowed me a chance to see your wonderful work! Most of us are trying to find a way out of our boxes and your information comes with no demands just honest insight for the taker, great work!

7. tripman222 says:

spectacular stuff!

8. aura jade says:

Digging your blog. Keep being awesome.

9. janoel17 says:

Haha! Well! I’m back for the second series of the duck! Haha.
    You always surprise me Ido…you really had a great mind. And Kudos to that duck (hoping to see more of him)! :)

Oh I forgot, what I see in that picture is a Beetle, a ladybug beetle.. :) Haha. Have a great week!

10. I posted my answer and explanation at the end of The Duck #1. Interestingly the sequence seems to end up at an alternating sequence of numbers. I feel temped to discuss the fractal nature of reality, but I guess that a longer discussion.
    Looking at the 12 numbered dots in a circular pattern the first thing that sprang to mind was an analogue clock face. I wonder if people brought up without many round clocks (digital watch generation) would have seen the same visual meme.

Perception is very interesting.
    More than one indigenous civilization visited by the west with sailing ships initially perceived the ships as giant birds. Until men stepped off these ship into small boats, and the indigenous people got close enough to see that they were really big wooden boats, not giant birds.

Perception brings up an interesting paradox, you cant perceive something until your mind has a construct for carving it out of the background. But how does your mind get a construct in the first place?

A good example of how hard it is to carve out a construct from the background.
    But once you look a second time with the mental construct in mind its really easy.
    Test the illusion on acquaintances and use a spoken key word if they are having trouble and they will suddenly ‘see’ it, despite the fact they are looking right at it.

11. The sequence definitely repeats.
    I wrote it in java and this is what it comes up with:

1 1
    16 23322114
    17 32232114
    18 23322114
    19 32232114
    20 23322114
    21 32232114

The repeating pattern starts at line 14, from then on, all even and odd numbered lines match each other. It was good to get some java practice in.

12. jefferyrn says:

I see wings. Does your dragon fly?

13. Pazlo says:

Duck walks into a bar and asks “Got any grapes?”
    “No” replies the bartender.
    “Okay,” says duck, “gimme a martini.”
    Next day duck comes in to the same bar and asks “Got any grapes?”
    “No” says bartender, “I told you that yesterday!”
    “Okay, says duck. “Gimme a martini.”
    Third day in a row, duck walks in and asks “Got any grapes?”.
    Bartender is annoyed and shouts “I already told you we don’t have grapes. If you come in here tomorrow and ask if we have grapes I’m gonna nail your beak to this bar!”
    “Okay! Okay!” says duck, “Just gimme a martini.”
    Day four, duck walks into the bar. Bartender stares at him with a grimmace.
    “Uh…” duck starts out hesitantly, “got any nails?”
    “No!” shouts the bartender.
    “Oh”, says duck, “then you got any grapes?”

;}

Paz

14. Hey what’s the deal with the Duck in the bar? Why can’t you meet this duck at a pond? J/k haha. Pretty creative.

It’s almost like asking “What is the Question to your Answer?”. Your, is emphasized! Ha!

Hosanna in the Highest!!!
    For His Love and Glory,
    ♥ Linda M

P.S. I remember I had this theory…there are two suns, one is in the middle of the Earth. Or the whole Atom on top of Atom on top of Atom and if you find where the pressure is on top of then, what will happen if you take that and split it…yup the atomic bomb my friend….There is no such thing as space! Too Much! Hehe….The things I’ve pondered…then I realized, Physical wha? What about the Spiritual Bro! Seriously. Get there and the Physical is nothing but a thought. ♥

15. Kristy says:

I see a star or a flower :) I’m curious as to where this goes, so I’ll be following you along.

16. Miss Thang says:

Thanks for liking my poem, your blog is quite interesting and refreshing!

17. onlykrish says:

This was a very cool blog. Enjoyed it. Waiting for more words to roll out…Keep posting!

18. This… This is amazing. How someone can realize how the human mind works in a series of dots and lines, and put it into terms that the rest of us can understand. I have never looked at it that way, because to me, the human mind is a mystery. I mean honestly, have you seen some of these idiots that walk around the street? ;) But seriously, this is absolutely fantastic. I’m 14, yet I still love how the duck comes into play and is like a little voice to the character, making the character and the reader both have to think. This is just fantastic, and I’m very excited to hear more from the wise duck. Thank you for the wise insight on this, and I will be thinking more often now.
    Also, thank you for checking out my blog.
    I will definitely be talking about these blog posts for a while, they’re very interesting.
    Keep it up. :)

19. Lissa Rabon says:

Haha…I love that joke…thanks foor the chuckle, Pazlo

20. First of all, thanks for the like! I really appreciate it.

Secondly, due to my incapable brain (aha! a line!), I cannot understand your instructions. Care to simplify them for me?

21. J. Boykin says:

Great to see free thinking hard at work! Thanks for the like, too!

22. Bumba says:

Very enjoyable.

23. niakster says:

Sky. That’s all I see in the dots.
    It’s all so unimaginative compared to Duck’s dragon.
    But hey, it’s about what I see right?

P.S: thanks for liking my posts, it was what brought me here. i was really glad that i have the chance of coming across this blog. your posts are so thoughts provoking.

24. RAMU DAS says:

Aha! So, ’311322′ is the answer. :)

25. co2i says:

I like this Ido, it is true. We are a reflection of our own thouths, and we best shape these lines through meditation.

26. co2i says:

Duck#2.

You said you see a dragon, and are sure of that.

I don’t see what you see, i see something else.

The dots and numbers from 1 to 12, the zero (0 ) shape, the manner in which the zero shape is doted and numbered, could make anyone see a Clock, by placing a small zero in the center, and three pointers (hr, min, sec pointer), each end of the pointers attached to the small zero in the center of the doted numbers.
    And now i see something else other than the Clock, ohh, i see something! do you see what i see?

27. thehurtfactory says:

Hi Ido, Thanks for liking my post – I’ve enjoyed reading some of yours. I ask myself often how we humans in the west managed to invent such an unhappy mode of life for ourselves – so many jobs without spiritual content, so many sweets and toys and distractions which don’t enhance us, so much fear and hate etc. – when there is so much joy to be had simply in being truly with each other, in exploring the human, in immersing ourselves in nature.
    Breaking pre-conceptions is key and you’ve used some great analogies to make it clear how and why… :) Peace
    I shall return!

28. The Artists Way-one if my favourite books!

29. Thank you for liking my poem post so that I could discover your blog! your ideas about connecting the dots reminds me of Alan Watts, though I’m sure you’ve heard of him. I’ve been listening to Conversation With Myself (found here, if you’re at all interested, http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8688992796818009166 ) and I love how he talks about the faulty logic humans use, trying to ‘iron out’ or ‘straighten out’ the natural ‘wiggly’ universe :)

30. I see a flower =) I love the insight in your Duck posts..I was even embarrassed at first to have assumed it was a duck shape as well! But then the embarrassment ceased, because as I read on I learned that it is alright to have your preconceived way of observing the world, as long as you are open to reshaping those views.
    Thank you for opening my eyes!

31. lazypuffhead says:

Thanks for your like :) .. I love your blog, it’s all gone a bit over my head but I’ve caught glimmers of the brilliance it contains. I’ve added you, so I will follow you to see where you go with this. I am hoping to change my thoughts but am not being successful, I’m extremely stuck in my mindset and see now way out … maybe you can help :) Thanks x

32. thevanbrown says:

A dot will from time to time appear to make a point. Sometimes multiple dots converge to imply a common idea within several points. But once in a while, we have to decide where to draw the line. Enjoyed reading your stuff. Thanks.

33. You have produced a really interesting blog, here.

And the books you recommended at the end of this post are very good!

34. troublemaker85 says:

Really smart words here.
    I want to have a creative mind so bad :) Mine is still very fixed and automatical T__T
    P.s. Still a circle that I can see, not a dragon LOL. Anyway the post is really awesome and full of lessons.
    Thank you very much.

35. Rajiv M says:

Becoming aware to your thoughts as thoughts only, and not reality.. That’s was awesome friend. Thanks of making me aware of my own thoughts as thoughts :-)

36. Argus says:

I got it wrong with the numbers—but am I downhearted?

No. I just saw one of the alternatives … I get that a lot. (Fun though~!)

37. If only more people could even start with seeing the dots… Most people would only see a Duck, they wouldn’t realize they saw dots. Next step is ofcourse seeing all possible lines (or not seeing only the shortest line from dot to dot.)
    I saw a star in the dots. But then, I didn’t want to see just the star, I wanted to see more possibilities. A sun with rays splashing outward. It’s difficult to see past the circle or geometric shapes in a circle. But a crown could fit in there too :)

38. Tomekha says:

I’m loving the ideas being expressed and can feel my lines being cut as I read. .. Thank you for the wonderful insights.

39. Hello Ido!
    Thanks for all the likes on my blog! :-D I would also like to meet Mr. Duck (aka Mr. Random arrangement of dots)…

40. Very cool exercise. The mind is absolutely amazing!!! Thank you for this awesome info, and thank you for visiting my page as well!

41. Haha, this is great! Funny how the human mind works.

42. Null Pointer says:

thanks for waddling by my space Ido. The idea of setting one’s thoughts free is liberating, but too terrifying for me. Without the lines, all my dots would collapse and coalesce into an unmanageable blob. Also, happiness is something that one needs to be ready for I suppose. For instance, I looked at your dragon and saw Death (a clock with no hands implying time’s run out). Obviously, I’m still a victim of my own thoughts and conditioning, because it more likely represents Life i.e. the egg laid by your duck.

43. Canadian Performer's Money says:

I read that and didn’t follow it at all. How does the riddle work?

44. Pierre-Loup says:

This is exactly the reason why I am not good at IQ tests. Things like “find the next card” or “ind the next number in the eerie” or anything like this based on what the designer of the test expects us to find… And i never manage to find it. I guess the most simple way I have manage to express this, was when I was 10 years old: I was asked “what is the next number?” in the eerie 1,2,3,4, ? and I said 3. Everybody was expecting 5… I was asked why 3? I said it might be 5, but it would be too obvious. It might be 3 and it would be more beautiful to have a wave of 1,2,3,4,3,2,1,2,3,4… It might also be 6, because 1+3=4 so we could assume 2+4=6 as well. But it might also be anything else depending on who would answer… I was labelled crazy.

• Argus says:

At last~! As I kid I learned to keep quiet — as the guy said “Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt” … dammit, that wasn’t what I meant to say …

… but I had exactly the same problem and was often accused of cheating. ‘Twas ever thus.

45. kungfujam says:

a

You supply the answer as a = 311322. Would you describe 132231 or 312213 as incorrect answers? If so, why?

46. Your blog is truly inspirational Ido!

47. wayfinder says:

Hey, Ido, thanks for ‘liking’ my blogpost. Interesting to read your posts on how we let our minds deceive us; we all do it, it’s part of staying safe & has evolutionery value up to a point. After that a well developed observer becomes our best friend as we navigate our way through a kosmos of endless possibilities. May your creativity flow endlessly for the benefit of all.

48. Lech Dharma says:

Realizing that you are The Thinker and NOT the thoughts is the cutting edge of awareness.

49. sweetj2 says:

Thanks for liking my blog – I’m really enjoying yours. I find my mind to be amusing and amazing. Lately I’ve noticed that, in a dream I might ask (when I realize it’s not my home I’m in) “When did I start living in this house?” and my mind will immediately come up with a story to answer the question, and because it is now a memory, I immediately believe it?! I suspect I don’t only do that in dreams but that I’ve made up all kinds of beliefs to try to make sense of this world I live in.

50. Are you familiar with “The Artist’s Way” by Julia Cameron? Great book. I think this little duck would like it

51. sonyknair says:

So true! Creativity is thinking along a new pattern.. Interesting n well written posts..