How To Follow Your Heart?

Hi All,

Well good news… I’m back! I know I know, I said that I’m shutting down this blog because of my new portal 2BAware, but hey, I have just made a list and found more than 60 topics that I want to write about so here I am again..

Alright so let’s begin – most of you probably didn’t read my post Follow Your Heart as it is one of my earliest blog posts. Well just about a month ago a good friend of mine who is also a great writer, Jaden Larker, asked me after reading this post “How? How can I differ between the mind’s and the heart’s will?”
That’s a great question – as most of the time, if not all of it, we are a slaves to the will of our programmed mind. It seems that we have totally forgoten how to listen to our hearts, which are much smarter than our brains (Did you know that latest brain researches show that our heart sends to our brain 4 times more information than our brain sends to the rest of the body? Isn’t that crazy?).
When do we usually feel our hearts? When we are in love, when we are looking at a small child and when we are enjoying a hobby that we REALLY love, usually some kind of an artistic hobby. You see? The most important things in life are being activated by the heart.

07879870So now you have a dilemma – should I take this job or shouldn’t I? Should I break this relationship or shouldn’t I? Should I go eating McDonald’s or shouldn’t I? (That’s gross man, why do you even think about it?!)
And here’s the prescription (Not 4 McDonald’s, there is no prescription for that) -
(1) Close your eyes, take 5 deep breaths from the nose to the bottom of your stomach and out from the nose, relax.
(2) Move your attention to your heart.
(3) Say – I’m taking this job.
(4) Check how it feels – can you feel your heart getting wider? Is it starting to vibrate? Does it make you smile? Good – you should take this job.
(5) Say – I’m not taking this job.
(6) Check how it feels again – Can you feel your heart getting narrower now? are your breathes becoming shorter? Can you feel some tension in your chest, or maybe a small pain in there? Seems like you have an easy decision to make.

* Many times our heart and mind collide. Your heart says one thing, which is totally unreasonable (for the mind) and your mind says just the opposite, which is sooo reasonable. To make things a bit tougher, all the advisors around you will say exactly what your mind says. That’s because your mind is a programmed machine, and their minds are programmed just as well. So – don’t ask for any advice, and go with your heart. Always.

** It might take 2-3 times till you really get a hold of it. Don’t give up, once this ability is developed, you will always make the right decisions – even when your mind doesn’t agree with you.

LOVE.

44 comments on “How To Follow Your Heart?

1. jmgoyder says:

Fantastic post – I love the way you think.

2. savorysouthern says:

Great post and just in time for all of us as we reflect on this year and the year to come! May you have a blessed Christmas and New Year!

3. Iddrise says:

Thank you for this post & I’m happy to see you’re back.

4. I love this post!
    and… if you decide to let something go and you feel lighter around your head & shoulders- your right choice is confirmed

5. C.C. says:

Sometimes I would feel one thing today, another thing the next. Both feels equally painful and equally exciting on different days!

6. yingyangyoga says:

gr8 post, ty for sharing. keep posting pls

7. Very true. I have certainly been working on these issues personally over that last few years. Letting the heart change how the mind works has been an adventure. Interesting how certain things just slip into consciousness. But it is becoming easier to listen and be guided by the heart. This next year the focus more than at any other time in my life will be to trust what is in my heart and allow it to lead me.

Keep your posts coming! They are valuable to many.

8. petchary says:

This is very true (I take it you are not fond of McDonald’s)…

9. Menina says:

You honestly made my day! Thank you :)

10. You honestly made my day! Thank you :)

11. jenfbs says:

I’m interested do you consider following ones heart the same as following ones gut?

12. lesrainbows says:

I love this! You’re great!

13. Interesting and new information. Was wondering about the research you referred to, what did they mean with ‘from the heart’ and how did they measure it?

14. julespaige says:

Interesting how some say they have a ‘gut’ feeling, or Women have ‘intuition’. – The trick is to listen, listen, listen. Some say wisdom comes with age. But I think if children were allowed to express what their heart hears and we listened…we could learn a thing or two.

Cheers and thanks for stopping by :)

Happy Holly and Merry Berry and any other holidays that you may celebrate.

15. seeker says:

There you are Ido. You have such a beautiful smile just following your heart. I am happy for you. I’m here to wish you and your family a Blessed Merry Christmas. It feels good to have an open heart, ain’t it?

16. MsHereIAm says:

Wow! Very good blog! My first time visiting so I didn’t know you were gone for awhile…but, please don’t leave again! LoL! :-)

17. MsHereIAm says:

Reblogged this on Ms. Here I Am and commented:
    I found this blog very relatable…and easy to follow. It certainly helped me with something I’m working through now…hope it does the same for you!

18. Spirituition says:

Really good! Especially in this period of time we need to work with the heart more to make things better in this World. So this practice is a really good start to get more connected to the heart. Thanks for sharing! Love and Light, Angelique

19. Amazing timing to read this post. I have just finished reading “What if it all goes right?” by Mindy Audlin. You sing from the same song book.

20. Very nice article, it is so true, thank you for your writing:) and Merry Christmas !

21. chorality says:

ido, we both have almost the same method to “follow our hearts”
    i (also) had my emotions talking to me via music.& other analogies..

but i see many differences in the way we see knwoledge, control &
    the connection & seperation of outter & inner reality.

i would like to synchronize methods with you..
    I think it won’t be hard.

just exchange some examples of your everyday thinking & feeling processes. i will give this to you in advantage..
    which space to write would you prefer? would you even like to?
    i really would like to see the way you behave.

22. Hello there! You had liked my most recent post over at my blog http://30newthingsby30.wordpress.com so I dropped by to have a look what you and your blog are about. When I scrolled down after reading the latest post about intuitive writing (which by the way was quite an interesting topic) and the headline of this blog post came into view, I must say I laughed out loud; a really happy laugh. Want to know why?

For the first time ever I’m spending the holidays in a completely new way and on my own (and loving it!), away from home. I randomly selected three books to take with me, and only on xmas eve I realised that the name of each book contained the word “heart”. I chuckled at that already. Yesterday when I opened the xmas present from my mother I had to laugh out loud; it was another book that also had the word “heart” in its title. And now, on top of this all, I randomly discover a (really nice) blog post about following your heart… I think I get the hint. :)

Interesting blog, will probably check back later with more time. Happy holidays & best greetings from Finland.

23. leelalou says:

I can’t tell you how much I loved this post. It is so easy to get to the bottom of what you really want, but I’ve never heard it put quite this way. Bravo :)

24. mixedupmeme says:

Thank you for the recent visits and likes on my blog.
    I usually follow my heart very early in the morning. That is when I
    do most of my blog posting. The house is very quiet and the new problems or confusions of the day have not yet arrived. I can go off in about any direction I want.

25. mindfuldiary says:

This is some spot on advise Ido! Btw, I’m so glad you chose to keep your blog. I find it much more personal. all the best. :-)

26. Your posts are always so optimistic! Happy, happy always, hhhhh!

27. robin claire says:

Hi Ido,
    I have become accustomed to listening to others with my “heart” organ instead of my “brain” one. It’s a very different feeling; like my heart has ears or something.
    robin

28. fotovita says:

I really enjoyed this post. This is something I have been thinking about lately. Am I right or am I wrong? I wasn’t sure if the way I was listening to my heart was good, but after reading your blog, It’s not bad. I’m not used to take 5 breaths from my nose to my stomach. Anyways, thanx for sharing this. Xo

29. I am so glad you found me so I could find you, Ido. Really. I will do this, thank you. Happy new year! I am glad you’re still here.

30. Ditto the comment above. I’ve always heard you should listen to your heart, but I’ve never known how to go about it till now. Thanks for the great post!

31. writer2050 says:

my mind says no but my heart says yes, tell my friends about what is happening in my life.

32. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and liking my post ‘Sleeping with the Angels’.(http://amishmashlife.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/sleeping-with-the-angels/)
    This is a very interesting article that you wrote. As a wise man once said “The human heart feels things the eyes cannot see, and knows what the mind cannot understand”.

33. Lyn says:

Glad you decided not to ditch your blog…I’d just discovered it. What a relief!

34. Heather says:

I’ve always called it following my instinct but maybe it is following my heart? Either way there is a calmness when a good decision is made…

35. frenchfry36 says:

This is a great tactic! Fascinating blog you have here :) (and thanks for the visit!)

36. glpassion says:

It’s funny I read this, in a time where both my heart and mind are heavy. New Year equals a new change in Life. Not the standard resolution but a way of life and finding which needs to take place for better living. Thank again for this posting, It will help me.