Intuitive writing – My favourite tool for self development

writing
Hellllooooooooooo,

I’ve just published my last post about 15 hrs ago, which is kinda interesting as I never post more than once every week or two. But, as I previously said, I have too much to say these days, and becuae I know that you are all hiding inside my computer screen and I am sitting just infront of it, I guess you are the ones who should bear my chit chat.

Alright no surprises this time – you all already know what I’m going to write about. Have you ever tried writing intuitively for a while? I mean, for a few weeks or months, every morning when you wake up, write 3 A4 papers. If you did you might want to go and read some other post. But if you didn’t (Or tried and didn’t succeed), here’s what will happen once you will:
* Your intuition is going to reach new peaks,
* You will be blown away by your flowing-out-of-no-where creativity,
* Your dreams will become crazzzyyy,
* Your self awareness will rise as you will start observing your thoughts as they are written infront of you,
* You will start overcoming fears as you recognize their repeating and programmed structure.

9.thoughtsThis is how it goes:
(1) Take a pen and put it on a paper,
(2) Start writing EVERY thought that comes up your mind,
(3) Don’t stop until you reach 3 full A4 papers,
(4) Do it every morning.

OK that sounds simple isn’t it? Well it is, but if you’ve never really tried you will probably run into these barriers at first (I’m also talking about those who tried for just a short while and it didn’t flow):
(1) At first times, you might find that you don’t have anything to write, because no thoughts are coming up your mind. That’s wrong ofcourse, as our mind produces 70,000 new thoughts a day, which is about 1 thought per second. It occurs because the ability to listen to your thoughts should first develop. That’s great! That means that you are about to unlock a new wonderful ability. In the meanwhile, just keep on writing – “I don’t have anything to write, I don’t have anything to write….” till you will have.
(2) Then, after going through this barrier, You will first meet your inner censor. This guy, is the one who stands between your heart and mind. At first, he will not let you write things that look ‘wrong’ or ‘disgusting’ to your EGO/Mind. He will not let you write stuff that you don’t want to read, hear, see or feel. That’s OK. Once you first meet him, it is just a matter of days till he is gone, and voila! You are an intuitive writer.

* HEY, do it. It might look a bit frightening, doing it every morning and write 3 full A4 papers, but it really isn’t. You might need to wake up 30 minutes ealier (It is really important to do it as the first thing you do in the morning) but once you get used to it, you will find out that it worth it sooo much.

But that’s just me,

LOVE.

68 comments on “Intuitive writing – My favourite tool for self development

1. hidorsey says:

I really appreciate this! Thank you!

“i am an artist. i get to paint light’s story.” Dorsey Mchugh

2. Very interesting way of becoming more intuitive. Sounds logical and practical on the surface, but it really requires one to commit to the exercise you suggest before getting past the surface and into your inner self’s world. Thanks for sharing this lesson in discovering a deeper level of our sub-surface self.

3. hidorsey says:

Thank you ido! This is good!

4. drgeraldstein says:

A good therapeutic exercise for those who are not terrified of what bubbles up.

5. zeldyspeak says:

I haven’t done this in years!! We called it free writing and it is pretty phenomenal….. Thanks for the post!!

6. rachel bar says:

A good idea. I’m sure you know that to start “stream of consciousness” writing is not easy and requires a lot of commitment. This is the kind of thing we all know is good for us (like going to the gym) but we still don’t do it.

7. i will try this. i recently wrote a post where i just wrote for more than 30 minutes without editing; not even typos. i noticed that when i look away from the keyboard as i am know i write faster and more naturally. thank you for this post. (you should’ve seen the typos i just corrected! LOL!) thank you for liking my blog posts and for swinging by. i dig what you’re doing over here.

peace.

8. Bill Chance says:

What a great idea. I’ve done morning pages, and a dream journal… I like the simplicity of this one. Thanks for sharing.

9. This is too cool……I’m gona try this….

10. colonialist says:

I use a variation on this theme for my normal writing of stories. That is, I think of a character or place, and start from there. The characters start doing their things, and a plot evolves.
    Then I get praised for how meticulously I planned the whole thing! *chuckle*

11. mariposa333 says:

Hi Ido!

Thank you for reminding me about these morning pages. Every couple of years for the past 12 years or so… “The Artist Way” by Julia Cameron kept falling into my life. It was only this summer that i was able to read the book and begin these pages. They are quite instructive.. revealing pieces of me. Unfortunately, when I began work, I stopped… But I am trying to commit myself to the process of these intuitive pages.

12. SenderElla's Attic says:

i have been trying to do this for years… perhaps this post is an impetus… inspiration and motivation spread like in the photo, perfect visual.

13. wateverrr says:

Really Interesting, Thank you.

14. kwarren1970 says:

Good idea about just putting an idea down on paper as they come to you and to let the list become a source of inspiration towards blogging. I just started writing this past September and I’m always trying to get some inspiration. :)

15. […] To Be Aware – Intuitive writing – My favourite tool for self development […]

16. megelert3 says:

This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing this tip and hopefully I will become a more skillful and in-tune writer.

17. Justine says:

It is interesting to note that our mind produces 70,000 new thoughts a day! Staggering.

18. Nice reminder. Good for the soul too! Thanks for the post.

19. I’m going to have to try this! It sounds like a great idea and I’m always looking for new ways to get creative.

20. its really interesting and innovative. thanks for sharing

21. Margaret Sullivan says:

Thanks you for sharing this.

22. AdrianNadeau says:

Thank you for this! I tried it today for the first time ever. I’ve been dealing with a bit of anxiety lately and I’m really going to try and work on this. I realized after my first 4 or 5 sentences that I’m thinking a lot of negative thoughts that are causing my anxiety! Thanks again!

23. sp56h says:

I’ve had a go at this before but got bored as it became a ‘to do’ list for the day or a gripe about something. So I looked around for something to write about. Picked an object in the room and wrote a poem or story instead. I gave up in the end but I still go back to my notes from that time now and then and develop any writing that was started. It’s a useful tool when you have writer’s block or a new way to see things/new ideas but I couldn’t keep at it for long. I’m not that disciplined!

24. All good until I read the wake up thirty minutes earlier bit…

25. Andinho. says:

I love writing, I’ve got a friend of mine that he
    says I can get it off my chest writing or on music.

26. VenusVee says:

Great post.
    I shall try this and see what happens!
    Thanks again.

27. susielindau says:

This is the second time I have heard about intuitive writing in the last month. I will have to just DO it!

28. What is an “A4″ paper?

29. beachmama777 says:

Ido, I read a book called The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. She suggests something she calls the Morning Pages. That is very much like your suggestion. It is three full pages of writing, without censoring your thoughts. This book is a great avenue to help us get in touch with our path to higher creativity. Have you read it? I strongly recommend it!

30. Lee Geary says:

When I’m stuck writing on creative projects I usually free write with whatever comes to mind in a stream of consciousness. There’s no pressure, no commitment, the words don’t have to mean anything.

I find I eventually work myself into my writing.

31. Kate Riley says:

I must do my blog, I must do my blog, I must do my blog today.

32. René Luijk says:

Your blog post reminded me about the book The Artist Way, Julia Cameron. I picked it up and started writing 3 pages every morning. Thanks for reminding me!

33. Posy says:

The one thing that would stop me from doing this is a sore wrist. Have you ever done this typing or is that not nearly as effective? When I’m writing my fiction and get stuck, I often just close my eyes and type like this until my mind gets reset. I’ve gotten through huge writing blocks this way, found some of the most inspirational words I’ve written, and it feels spiritual. I feel as if my muse is really talking to me when I write intuitively.

34. IntrigueMe says:

Hi there! I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for reading my blog! I’ve tried this intuitive writing thing once in my journal (and had a decent enough result for a first-timer) but I think I’ll give it another shot… maybe make an effort to do it for a week or two. Thanks for the inspiration!

35. Joni says:

This is an interesting idea to try…good to have you visit and the “like”! thanks…

36. I think it would take me all day to have that many thoughts! I do think I should hand off a Blogging award to you tomorrow afternoon on my site both for the articles and the feedback they receive.

37. pishnguyen says:

I love this idea! I’m going to give it a try!

38. Therese says:

With all of the changing energies streaming into our lives, your wise words reach so many. I understand what you are trying to convey unlike some other sites or authors who use words that only a spiritual master can understand. Thanks for being there for us.

39. Tim & Leslie says:

There’s 3 stages of doing things in the South: the planning stage, the execution stage, and in between the two is the “fixing to” stage. Too often, I think we all get caught up in the dilemma of when should we step out of what makes us feel safe or comfortable. The “fixing to” stage is where hesitation thrives. Happy New Year!

40. I’ve been writing a diary (still am) for years and years, and I sort of faced the same problems. But overall it is interesting to look at your own thoughts – frightening or hilarious sometimes, but definitely worth a try.
    But even after all these years, I didn’t succeed in killing the censor. Maybe my mind will overwhelm me with its craziness when I do :). Either way, writing is indeed very useful, and that’s why I blog :).

41. Great Post! To answer the question in the post – YES! I so agree with you – as I have been doing this since 1998. I first learned it in a book called The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron, and have been doing it – she calls it “morning pages” – ever since. That’s filled up alot of notepads and journals over the years – and it does work. It empties you , so you can fill back up, not with all your head ramblings, but with what the creative, spiritual, universal, whatever you want to call it, force is nudging you open to. Thanks for sharing this and finding me online so I could find you!!! I look forward to reading more :)

42. Rhino House says:

This sounds much more sensible than my scheme, which uses blogging as a morning waste bucket to empty my head enough to get through another day – while it all fills-up again.

43. heartflow2012 says:

Dear Ido ~

I am so happy e connected in this lifetime!

Here’s to a Wondrous Happy New Year 2013 filled with Joy, Peace and Love!

In Lak’ech Ala K’in!

Tomas

44. Ms. Branch says:

Hi Ido, this is awesome. I’ve never tried it, this should be fun :)

45. This is great! And perfect timing with the start of the New Year. I am going to try this. Thank you for the helpful tips!!!

46. davidadamstenor says:

I haven’t worked with intuitive writing to that level of precision, but I love the idea! I wake and journal every morning, which often is a release of the thoughts running in my head. I like the idea of a target number of pages… often, I will go until I feel a clearing begin. It sounds as if this will encourage me to enter the clearing and continue on.
    Happy New Year to you, and thank you for your insightful, touching blogs!

47. Wow! I used to teach creative writing and that was one of the techniques that I used. The results were so frightening to the students because they were accurately predicting events in their community. My supervisor asked me to find another technique to teach writing. Now I stay away from that completely. “An idle mind is the devil’s playground.”

48. Ruby says:

This is a small appreciation gift for all this inspiration http://yourinnerfeathersbyruby.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/my-first-blog-award-thank-you/ . Have a wonderful day!

49. Heather says:

Hmmm, interesting idea…I’ve never had much of a way with words, in fact I’ve always been a bit envious of those who do…it takes me forever to write something, as I generally rewrite it over and over! which is why my photo blog rarely has words…when they come easily I use them.
    Happy New Year…

50. lillymilly007 says:

May The Every Moment Of Coming
    New Year Brings YOU Happiness And
    Prosperity In Life, Enjoy The Every
    Moment Of Your Life. Happy New Year.
    LillyMilly

51. I’m a Julia Cameron junkie too — morning pages are the way I clear all the negative “No, I can’t” cobwebs out of my path.

52. I’m going to try this! Thanks for sharing.
    And HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2013!! :)

53. Believe me, it works! Except I am “on call” at my job, so did much of it there. And, yes—that ole internal censor will get in on the act. Promise yourself you won’t publish anything unless it is really good, which sometimes happens. I’ve written 6-12 pieces of publishable poetry a week because of this excercise. My personal challenge is in part taking an adult topic said poorly (slang, etc.) and saying it in an interesting, acceptable manner…part of the fun! THANK YOU for visiting me at BY THE MIGHTY MUMFORD, and liking one of my works. Lots more where that came from, there and at ourpoetrycorner.wordpress.com, in the Archives where I started blogging with my good friend, Ron Dubour. AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, SIR!!!!

54. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    THIS WORKS!

55. wnattawan says:

Awesome idea, thanks. Will try it. Just a question. Would it be different to do it in the morning and before going to bed?

56. hermitsdoor says:

Being Enlightenment oriented, I conceptualize “intuition” as reason to which we have not taken the time to understand the logic. I have friends who come up with brilliant intuitions, but could not explain how they reached these conclusions. They are baffled when I can walk them through the steps that lead from their observations to their outcomes. Your technique could be a bridge between these neurological processes.
    Oscar

57. Ricari says:

Thanks for advice! I sometimes find that just thinking about what I want write helps me sort my thoughts but I’ve been too lazy to actually jot them down. I think I’m goning to make this something that I add to my daily routine.

58. Addie says:

My boyfriend sent me this link and now I understand why.

59. Aparajitha says:

Wow, this is interesting. I am doing this as soon as I wake up tomorrow!

60. FANTASTIC article – and so much truth to the CREATIVE POWER of this exercise!!! For anyone working on tapping into their intuition, I can assure you that the 30 minutes Ido recommends is nothing compared to the minutes you will ‘get back’ in a day once you are able to more effectively utilize your intuition.

I “stumbled” into this technique, or dare I say art, because I had been able to lucid dream since a young kid, am a poet at heart, and after nearly three decades of them being separate entities, THEY FINALLY combined… While the idea of ‘stream of consciousness’ writing is something many are familiar with — as Ido reinforces — doing a ‘stream of consciousness’ first thing IN THE MORNING brings you closer to a much more rich and deep source of creativity which lies within all of us! It is why many of the most creative writers and innovative inventors were inspired by their dreams (as the dream-scape is an even more direct link to that source of raw creativity within us)….. and of course, once you are familiar with the feeling and process of tapping into this source, you can (should, and will) be able to utilize it anywhere at any time of day you’d like!

EXCELLENT post Ido! Even with this topic having been near & dear to me already, you inspired me to begin doing this exercise again, as it serves as a PERFECT reminder for the ‘bigger picture’ regarding what life is made of! Awesome stuff.

61. Reblogged this on Loopholes on Life and commented:
    It took me nearly 3 decades to understand how to effectively leverage “intuition”…. 3 DECADES…. And considering I was a creative writer/poet from the moment I could write AS WELL AS the fact that I’ve been able to lucid dream since I was a young child — it is that much more amazing that it took me THREE DECADES to first appreciate, then learn, then leverage the creative power of intuition….. We ALL have it within us, but some of us are further removed from this source than others…. and again, I didn’t realize that “lucid dreaming” was somewhat rare for people, or that the concept even had a name, until high-school — I didn’t realize how certain aspects of life can serve as a tool to hone a gift which exists within us for, amazingly, THREE DECADES!!

So if you don’t have the patience to wait for three decades like I did on the hope that eventually “it clicks” for you one day, but still would like to learn how to tap into a super power you may not even know existed —- start with Ido’s article on “tool for developing intuitive writing”! By taking some time IN THE MORNING and doing “stream of consciousness writing”, you are allowing the intuitive in you to speak. Start somewhere and eventually you can go anywhere!!! :D