How to overcome barriers?

barriers
I think that this is an issue that we are all familiar with – you have to do something for work, have to pay a fine, have to email someone. You have to create, have to make some food, have to clean the house. But you just can’t find the strengths. Instead, you sit infront of the television or the computer screen, doing nothing undercover and feeling very bad about it.
Now there are a few factors that can cause this, but what is really important to understand here is that we are not talking about a local treatment that will help you get over yourself this time. Instead I would like to talk about a permanent cure.

OK Cool. So what can you do about it? Well here are some helpful tips to get over this issue: (A clue, as always, it does involve self investigation. Otherwise – no real cure is achieved, but just a local treatment)
(1) Here is your basic assumption for this process – No matter what needs 2b done, it can wait for 2 more hrs. If it can’t, than there is no barrier, you have no choice of doing that. If you think that it can’t wait, and you still find yourself starring at the screen for 80% of your so called ‘working time’, than it can wait.
(2) Now, after you’ve made some time in your schedule, you can begin. The first step is the self investigation. Write these questions on a paper or the computer screen, and try to answer them honestly:
* Is this a task that I have to do? WHY??
* What is it that I’m afraid of about this task?
* How does this barrier makes me feel? What do I feel like right now?
* Besides this task, a small other thing that I need to do today is.. (Do it now)
* One thing I would like to change in my life is: …..
* Recently, I find myself bothered because…

Good. The main idea behind this step is that usually the reason for the barriers is our mind, that keeps being so disturbed with other things that we have to do, other things that bother us in our life, tomorrow yesterday and so on.. All these questions are aimed at turning the lantern from the outside in, in order to shed a light about those things. Those thoughts and worries takes away our vitality and therefor create the barriers. This self investigation part is the one we use in order to find a permanent cure.

B.T.W, You can also just practice an Intuitive writing session. My last post was about it. To make it easier, I’ve just developed a free online tool for that, which can help you create a daily self reflection routine for yourself, no matter where you are (Even at work). Here is its link – The Reflection Room.

couch_potato(3) After answering those questions, the next step is to go and do something you like for at least one hour. Please notice that you don’t like starring at a screen of any kind. Seriously. This is usually either an addiction or a runaway from yourself. Get energized – go for a walk in the beach / park / city market, play a musical instrument / write / paint / dance, practice a sport of some kind. Meet a love one with the intention to laugh and have fun. Play with a little child (The best cure for everything). Read a book, Cook. Breathe some clean air. Meditate.

(4) If you are having too much fun, don’t stop yourself in the middle… Your task can usually wait till 2morrow as well, as long as you are getting closer to yourself full-hearted.

I think I’m done 4 2day,

Do you have any other suggestions?

LOVE.

47 comments on “How to overcome barriers?

1. susielindau says:

So true! I do fritter away the time procrastinating a chore. Now I will either force myself to do it or make a plan to start at a specific time. Brilliant!

2. Thanks for the ideas! Happy New Year, the best year ever :)

3. Anonymous says:

Do you guys realize that our capabilities and talents are on lock-down when we’re caught up in procrastination? Some people stay in crisis-reactionary mode over-and-over again because they put everything off until they have to deal with it. This means they are in constant crisis mode!

I someone who is highly capable and credentialed but cannot make a decision. They vacillate back and forth and every time they land, its sounds like the decision is made-yet to no avail. i have seen unnecessary loss in this person’s life because of it.

What I’m saying is that, if procrastination becomes crippling to the point of letting our responsibilities go to heck-in-a-hand-basket, it’s time to get some HELP because there are deeper issues causing this lock-down!

I’m just sayin…..

4. I really like the way how you wrote it. And it’s so true!

5. Elizabeth E George says:

I am very guilty of procrastination. I try to do a few things I do not “want” to do (chores), and then reward myself with a small favor. It could be anything — a small, healthy snack or maybe just watching a cool You Tube vid. I hope this helps. :)
    Happy New Year!

6. Ruby says:

I usually use “treats” for myself when I’m done with a task or other “barriers”. For example I will watch my favorite show for animals after being done with my task. This actually has me motivated and I try to finish it as fast as possible! As for the rest, I definitely agree with you! Happy new year!

7. Kathy Sporre says:

I’m overall not a procastinator. I find finishing in advance of deadlines reward in itself and the stress of watching impending deadlines inch closer and closer very unpleasant. I don’t do this perfectly all the time, but avoiding that stress and feeling rewarded in finishing are great motivators for me. Happy New Year!

8. mindbender99 says:

This fits me to the tee.. Thanks for sharing!

9. EM Vireo says:

Great post. thanks. and cool blog. lot of good, helpful, positive stuff in there. Nice to see you responding to so may of my posts too. Excllent to be in touch in this space. I appreciate your good vibrations. Happy new year, man.

10. Grndma Chris says:

Love this post, what a great exercise to try. You are a fantastic writer and the amount of followers you have reflects that, I’ll have to join the audience and see what course you lead us.

11. For a while between 2011 up until now , 2013 , iv had this desire to break down all the walls inside my mind and soul by looking into all the parts of me that im consciously and subconsciously afraid to look at . If i can look at it all and find the root of the wall that grew , i will be able to change it , my fears will diminish and my happiness will have more room to grow ! So i reeally get where your coming from ! i think your blog is fantastic and i have already followed it :]

12. Maxima says:

In this festive evening sleigh let you bring the best wishes of happiness :joy, love and happiness.May happiness and blessings to you and forever stop by and follow .
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

13. pishnguyen says:

So very true! I find myself procrastinating and end up feeling awful about that as well as not accomplishing things I wanted to do. But you are so right that much of the barrier has to do with fear of a certain task — maybe fear of failing at it, or even fear of succeeding.

14. Jennifer says:

Great post to start off the new year! Thank you – I always enjoy your blog & always find it very helpful! Best wishes for a wonderful 2013!

15. 4skinnycat says:

OYE VAY! I am such a procrastinator. I am always amazed at how much I can get done when I just DO IT!!

16. hiraroomi says:

it seems like you wrote what i have been feeling, thanks for sharing!

• Kate Riley says:

I don’t write goals, I just do it, even if it’s out of order. Always been like that, as is my publisher, Even at uni, he did the assignments as soon as he got them, then they’re done. Mind you, he came unstuck at teachers’ college when someone lifted his assignment and copied it. Not a happy chappy.

17. savorysouthern says:

Procrastinating just makes things worse. :) I do my chores but do things I like in between. My days off I piddled with my recycling crafts and my do housework.
    For every failure, there’s an alternative course of action. You just have to find it. When you come to a roadblock, take a detour.” Failure isn’t something to fear, it just means your human. Learn from your failure and make it a success.instead!

18. Am procrastinating right now… I’m a teacher and back to school after the Christmas holiday in just four days… Have a pile of marking to do and two books to read and annotate, but I can’t start – it’s too intimidating and depressing! Think I will write for a bit first :-) Thank you for the advice; I shall try to put it into practice…

19. theINFP says:

After a break from my working life I find I am more motivated to complete tasks. My problem is mentally switching from work to home and finding energy to do stuff when before bed.

20. mcgeeles says:

Ahh. Procrastination. It’s interesting.I think it’s easier to take things in smaller chunks; like a half hour. Do something I dislike for a half hour, then do something I like for 15 minutes etc.

21. Kate Riley says:

happy new year. Just do it even if the fear grabs you by the throat. You won’t know if you can do it until you try. I like mcgeeles advice.

22. hermitsdoor says:

We are not procrastinators. If anything, we over-plan our futures and have long To Do Lists stacked about. Most evenings, because of our work and commuting schedules, we have only about 2 hours from arriving home to falling asleep. We joke about how anyone has time to watch TV. The other day, we covered the holiday shifts for other therapists. Because we started early, we were home about 5:15, which left us lots of extra time in the evening. We were finished with dinner before 7 p.m. and wondered how we would keep ourselves awake until bed time. Ah, that is when people watch TV! (We read books instead)
    Oscar

23. I always write down small goals. Small goals are way easier to finish than big goals!

24. Lyn says:

I tried clicking on the link, but all it did was go to a page with the words: “Welcome to the Reflection Room. Communicaion will be operated via the [spacebar key] Gently squeeze it now.” Pressed the spacebar – nothing happened. Pressed the spacebar several times in rapid succession – nothing happened. Hit the spacebar with my fist – I need a new spacebar :-(

25. I kind of do that automatically – there’s nothing like a ‘deadline’ I can’t quite face yet for getting all sorts of other things done!

26. Marissa says:

I loved this! It gave me that extra push to do something I needed to get done today!

27. Crazydotcom says:

Thank you so much for visiting and reading my blog. I really appreciate the time you take to read and like my blog and that is why I am nominating you for the Wonderful Team Member Readership Award. If you choose to accept visit http://thecurseofthesingleparent.com/2013/01/06/wonderful-team-member-readership-award/ for details and many thanks again x

28. Hi there, I’ve nominated you for the Super Sweet Blog award. To find out how to accept this award, pls visit my blog: http://mommysboymusings.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/super-sweet-blog-award/

29. robin claire says:

Hi Ido,
    I nominated you for:
    THE VERSATILE BLOG AWARD
    Come to my blog and receive your award.

robin claire

30. I love your blog and I have nominated YOU for The Versatile Blogger Award! If you wish to accept, check out the post at http://growinguplittle.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/versatile-blogger-award/
    CONGRATS!

31. Excellent ways to unlock old habits and tired notions of things that stand in our way. Thoughtful post!

32. I’ve also caught myself on many an occasion stressing about having to do something, rather than just using that energy to get it done and off my plate! Very astute of you to remind us to stop and smell the roses. Stress and avoidance are relationship killers not to mention lifespan shorteners. I’ve been guilty at times of using my stress as a pretext for pushing my family away instead of bringing them closer which would actually eliminate a lot of the stress. The screen is a tool that cuts both ways – on the one hand it is very easy to drift off task and “kill” your precious time, on the other though through it I have the opportunity to discover lovely posts like yours Ido! I think it is just important to keep the surfing scales tipped in favor of quality :D

33. reocochran says:

Thank you for checking out my humble posts on wordpress! You write so easily and it helps to make you feel right at home. I think my barrier is age. But procrastination or working on too many projects at the same time, I am guilty of, too!

34. Ann Sowards says:

Yep, that was my this morning, playing “where will this lead me? On my computer this morning instead of exercising! No mystery why there, eh? Great post,mThanks for the insights!

35. Monica says:

This is perfect – a great New Year wake-up call. And I love the kitty vegging out with a beer. I know just how she feels!

36. Dreamachine says:

Great post! And I love the Intuitive writing tool. I’lll be revisiting for sure.

37. [...] How to overcome barriers?. [...]

38. You’re right: it helps to do something enjoyable like walking in the park. It’s both energizing and relaxing, and helps to create the mental conditions to tackle an unwelcome task. :)
    Good post!

39. This is great! I am empowered yet convicted because I am procrastinating right now….Oh my, back to the task at hand. Great work!

40. I must say…. Truly enlightening…

41. Excellent tips. I usually spend far too much time in front of the computer screen. But, last week, I went to an outdoor nightime exposure photography session. What a blast!