Are You Self Aware?

view

Ohhhh I missed that so much!

Every time I promise that I will keep writing every day and than one month passes because I can’t find the time.. Alright, this time I promise not to promise anymore, but here are my 2 cents 4 2day.

Do you know what is self-awareness? People are using this term all the time though it seems that its full meaning is unclear. For example, you woke up in the morning, standing infront of the mirror and saying to yourself – ‘Oh my god, my nose is so long / my forehead is so big / I’m ugly 2day’, does it mean that you are self aware to your look? No. That means that you are looking at the world through your fears. Being self aware means looking at those fears instead of through them. So a self aware way of looking at the mirror that morning will be more like – ‘I feel bad because I hold a belief that I’m ugly’.

It is the act of looking at your feelings in real time instead of being them.

Brain chartHere is another example (With a chart!!) – 20 minutes late, You are driving your car to work, when suddenly some guy violently cuts you off. Shocked, you stop your car at once and start mumbling something like ‘Oh this f**** stupid d***a** f***, who gave you a license?!’. You are about to keep on driving again when suddenly the car behind start honking so hard, and the driver screams from the window: ‘Start moving asshole!!! I have to attend McDonalds to eat a super mega tripel double mcRoyal with some deep oiled chips in the size of a building and 2 liters of Coca-Cola! Burp’. Now you get really mad. You keep on driving incautiously to work, your face is red and your whole day looks like shit.
That was the not self-aware you, the one who was driven by his fears and feelings.
The self aware you, would immediately stop and say to himself – ‘I feel very angry right now’, thus looking at your emotions and not act through them.

But what’s the difference? Well the scientific difference is that as long as you are not self aware, meaning get angrier and angrier and not stopping to look at that, this anger shows up in the back of your brain – the unconscious one (which is about 95% of your brain size). Once you notice how angry you are, this anger moves from the unconscious part of your brain to the conscious one. Once it is there, your brain and body starts to destroy it, thus get you calm much faster. Truth is, that up until any kind of feeling gets to the conscious part of your brain – it can never leave.

You know what’s really cool about it? There is no sign of this awareness anywhere in the brain. When looking at peoples brains there is no sign of this awareness. There is a very clear seeing as the anger (or any other feeling) awakens in the unconscious part, and than at some point it moves to the conscious part, but no one have yet seen this thing which is looking at the brain from the outside and recognize the anger. Where is this awareness? Is it not included in the physical? Probably. It is higher than the brain, sees everything from the brid’s eye view. It is free of any judgement, it just looks objectively at a given situation and sees it for what it is. It is gentle omnipresent.

I like my awareness!

Peace all :-)

B.T.W – If you are looking for some kind of a personal growth or blogging advice and wanna chat, we can do it here.

24 comments on “Are You Self Aware?

1. Good stuff, Ido!
    When we are usually centered and aware, it is easier to return there from a momentary diversion as your conscious brain recognizes that as a pattern-habit :)

2. Joy Frawley says:

My favorite part you wrote is, “You keep on driving incautiously to work, your face is red and your whole day looks like shit.” I laughed when I read that because I can completely relate and we either go blindly onward or stop to reevaluate.

3. I like the post! For me, to be aware is to be in control of one’s own desire.

4. VERY INTERESTING POST YOU SHARE WITH US GUYS!

Have à beautiful day xoxo/ vicki

5. “Once you notice how angry you are, this anger moves from the unconscious part of your brain to the conscious one. Once it is there, your brain and body starts to destroy it, thus get you calm much faster. ”
    This line is so true! awesome post!

6. susielindau says:

I am especially aware of people who cut me off in traffic! Hahaha! kidding…
    I get what you are saying and will try this next time! There is always a next time…

7. Chef Randall says:

Thanks for the words today about being self aware and how to deal with the feelings.

Thanks for stopping by my blog as well..Savor the Food. I appreciate your comments and readership.

I will admit I have been busy lately and haven’t come by your blog to see what you have posted. I like what I read here this morning and I am going to book mark your blog so I can remember to check it out every morning. :)

Thanks for sharing the information that you do Ido Lanuel. I look forward to your future posts here on To Be Aware.

Chef Randall
    savorthefood.wordpress.com

8. I am definitely working toward that vein. Thanks for the clarity.

9. julespaige says:

Being aware to me also means listening attentively to what others have to say or relate. Through voice, or other media. And understanding what direction they are coming from so you can interpret the value; positive or negative and move on from there. We can grow from negative news, but we can also translate it into positive action, by not letting the weight of it direct immediate response that might just be emotional.

Your traffic example is a good one. Another one I like is waiting to check out at the grocery store. We all have things to do, but we do not have any control over what problem may occur in the line by the cashier or the people in front of us. Use that time, without complaining. Because, well complaining isn’t going to make the line move any faster and may actually hamper progress and make those who created the initial issue (whatever it was) feel worse than the problem at hand. I sometimes try to defuse those situations with humor – so everyone can walk away with some relief.

Thanks for your visit today :)

10. jgann22 says:

Thank you for visiting my blog :) Hope to keep in touch :)

11. Heather says:

yes…anger & stress, will fester if we don’t acknowledge it and deal with it…

12. Joel says:

What a helpful post. It’s true in my life that sometimes I’ll try to move on past something that’s causing tension without actually dealing with it. Of course, trying to ignore stress only causes it to appear in less healthy ways. What may start out as a cuddly little monster turns into a big hairy beast with claws. Often then, something we could have handled produces issues in our lives and collateral damage besides.

13. neely wang says:

great insight — thanks for the inspiration!

14. Seasick Fist says:

I was explaining this to my friend just a few hours ago. I shared it with her, I’m sure she’ll be able to grasp it better now aha. Great post man.

15. dmgartphoto says:

You write well and what you describe is very useful and if one manage to do it one certainly will be happier.
    I dont agree with what you say in the last paragraph though. There have been many things in human history that we couldn’t see and know. Stating that its outside the brain is just another way of saying we dont know (yet :-) ).

16. snosler says:

I am pretty “intune” with my body – and I think that comes (in part) from being a competitive athlete (X-competitive, that is) … and while it’s a good thing it’s also like I can’t get away with anything … my own mind knows when I’m not being true to myself – if that makes sense at all??

17. theunknoownn says:

Hi, that was great article, thus i don’t think that everyone can handle this… personally i always act by action not emotion at least i fight with myself to do this… but some ppl are great at acting by emotion and now.. for example artists but i don’t want to spoil it…soo… all in all great read that was .. ;] btw thx for like on my post and have a great day.!

18. Rhino House says:

I enjoyed it, thanks. Reminded me of the Dhammapada.

19. MikeW says:

Really glad to see you back on Ido. Last time I read your blog there was the surge in hostilities nearby. Hope all calms down and basket weaving becomes the new consuming passion in the general area, with people hopeless addicted to the sport.

20. Not sure if that’s all anatomically correct, but it’s true we have to recognize our negative emotions in order to let them go. Those stressful brain chemicals dissipate very quickly if we don’t hang on to that ‘bad’ feeling. Peace and love!

21. ~~~S Wave~~~ says:

Loving your posts as always. Keep them coming!

22. Patrick says:

Ohhh I need practice at this. Oh… and guess what?! That’s EXACTLY what I say when someone cuts me off! ;-)

23. MikeW says:

Ido, how have you been doing? All the best from here.